We hold weekly practices from June through October when…
- We meet outside at places like Gateway Green, Powell Butte Nature Park, Forest Park, L.L. Stub Stewart State Park & Sandy Ridge.
- We start with the basics and seek to develop and improve upon fundamental bicycling techniques.
- We get to know each other…hearing each others updates, learning about each other’s interests outside of mountain biking and exchange support and enthusiasm.
- We stretch, practice some yoga, practice some meditation and talk about athlete mindfulness.
- We’re always teaching riders to approach trail riding safely and to avoid injury.
- We’re okay with crashing if it teaches you something and you can come up smiling.
- We teach control before we teach speed…and we think you should always be in control.
- We teach riders how to train and engage in a competitive racing process.
- In NICA and on Portland Metro Composite there are no cuts with the recognition that everyone rides and contributes to the team within their own ability.
- We teach riders to be ethical, upstanding members of the mountain biking community.
- We celebrate an enjoyment of bicycling, being in nature, getting exercise (on and off the trail)…that riders have the potential to benefit them throughout their lives.
Last year (in 2018) Portland Metro Composite was awarded at each of the race series events for scoring among the top 3 teams in each race’s Team Competition and we we awarded 2nd Place Overall as a team for the season. Pretty amazing considering we were the “city kids” competing against 10 other teams from other areas around the state that have far better access to trail riding that we have. Our Head Coach was also awarded The Oregon League’s first “Coach of The Year” award.
Portland Metro Composite is a 100% volunteer-run organization that strives to keep our program as accessible while providing scholarships and assistance to riders in need.
Please see consider contributing to these costs by becoming one of Our Sponsors!
For more information, please email our coaches at firstname.lastname@example.org